After Utah residents, November 2018 ballot initiative for the sale and consumption of medical cannabis, The State of Utah has started phase one of its journey in marijuana legalization with the opening of dispensary Dragonfly Wellness dispensary, located at 700 S. State St, Salt Lake City. Dragonfly Wellness is the first of its kind in the conservative state.
The opening of Dragonfly Wellness is just the introductory phase to rolling out more dispensaries in the future. While patients rejoice in having a dispensary near them according to a report given to the Associated Press quoting, many government officials in Utah have no intention of opening several dispensaries at once like its neighboring states Nevada and Colorado.
Here's what Utah patients need to know to get a medical card:
The State of Utah will require residents that want to participate in the purchase and consumption of cannabis to obtain a state-issued patient card. Patient cards will come in the form of a doctor's recommendation only. Currently, there are a limited number of medical professionals registered with the UDOH to grant patient card recommendations.
UDOH Patient Card Process:
- Select a medical provider authorized to recommend medical marijuana
- Meet with your UDOH qualified medical provider (QMP) in person for an evaluation
- Review Utah's electronic verification system (EVS) user guide
- Create an account and apply for the medical marijuana patient card through the EVS portal using only your Utah state-issued ID
- QMP must log on to patients EVS to complete the recommendation for medical cannabis treatment
- Pay medical marijuana application fees
- Initial patient card: $15
- 30 day - renewal: $5
- 6 - month renewal: $15
- Review of application by UDOH for compliance
- For patients ages 21 and older with a qualified pre-existing condition, applications processed in 15 days or less
- For patients ages 21 and younger or patients without a pre-existing condition, applications processed in 90- days or less
- Receive your UDOH issued a medical marijuana card
- All requirements met
- Copy of Patient card emailed
Begin purchasing medical marijuana from one of eight dispensaries (Pharmacies) across Utah state.
Welcome to the Green Rush, Utah!